From common nouns to proper nouns, this list of nouns starting with A will help expand your vocabulary either in writing or playing word games like Scrabble.
Popular Nouns That Start With A
Many nouns that begin with A are used in normal, everyday conversations. Here are some of them that you’ve probably used.
- Air – the gases surrounding the earth that we take into our lungs
- Apple – A round fruit with white flesh and green or red skin
- Age – period of time when someone or something has existed or has been alive.
- Answer – A verbal or written response to a question
- Actor – Someone that acts in a movie, drama, or theater
- Aunt – Your mother or father’s sister
- Afternoon – The period between noon and sunset
- Apology – Admitting an error and expressing regret
- Anger – A strong feeling of displeasure
- Address – A place where someone lives
- Art – anything that stirs a person’s thoughts, emotions, beliefs, or ideas.
- Adventure – Something unusual, exciting, or daring
- Autumn – season that occurs after summer and before winter
Common Nouns Starting With A
Just like nouns beginning with N, there are also plenty of common nouns starting with A. Here are some of them:
- Aisle – a passage between sections
- Altitude – elevation above the Earth
- Ambition – the desire to achieve something
- Anchor – a weight dropped into the water to stop a boat
- Anecdote – a short, entertaining, and funny story
- Antidote – a chemical that can cure or limits a poison’s side effects
- Argument – A disagreement between two parties
- Assault – An act of physical or verbal injury
- Average – Typical or common
- Award – A reward for success
- Adjective – A word that describes a noun
- Abbreviation – A shortened form of a word or phrase
- Animal – a living being that is not a human
Positive Nouns That Start With A
Looking for A-nouns with a positive connotation that you can use for a friend or loved one? Here are some of your choices:
- Aesthete – an individual who appreciates and enjoys beauty
- Amateur – a beginner
- Apathy – a behavior that doesn’t show any emotion or interest
- Allure – a quality often associated with being attractive or exciting
- Altruist – a person who helps other individuals without asking or expecting in return
- Angel – someone who is good or kind to others
- Athlete – A person trained or naturally talented in sports
- Ambassador – an official government representative
- Ace – A person who is extremely skilled or knowledgeable in any field.
- Achiever – A successful person
- Authority – An expert in their field
- Adherent – One who supports, advocates, or proposes a cause
- Adjutant – A military personnel tasked to do office work
- Administrator – A person in charge of directing, managing, executing, or distributing civil, governmental, or religious issues.
- Admirer – someone who greatly values, adores, respects, or approves
Proper Nouns Starting With A
Opposite to common nouns, proper nouns are specific and always capitalized. Proper nouns, even those that start with the letter A, are typically names of countries, brands, and cities.
- Alabama – 22nd state in the US, located in the southeast part of the country.
- Alaska – The 49th US state, located in the extreme northwestern part of North America.
- Arizona – The 48th and last contiguous state to join the US
- Arkansas – The 25th state to join the US, located in the south-central part of the United States
- Aruba – A Caribbean Island 18 miles north of Paraguana and 50 miles northwest of Curacao
- Atlanta – The capital city of the state of Georgia
- August – The eighth month of the year.
- Austin – The capital city of Texas
- Aurora – The second largest city in Illinois
- Australia – A country consisting of the Australian mainland, Tasmania, and several smaller islands
- Africa – The second-largest continent after Asia.
- Argentina – South America’s second-largest country
- Algeria – A country situated in the northern area of Africa
- Angola – A country in central-southern Africa
- Austria – a central European country