People struggle with spelling due to different reasons. Some omit, add extra letters, while others confuse the sequence in which the letters appear. One of the most misspelled words is acreage. Some people write it as “acrage” or use “acerage.”
If you struggle with this word, here is an informative piece to help you get the correct spelling of acreage.
Acreage Meaning: What Is It?
The meaning of acreage is a land’s area or the number of acres in an area. In real estate, acreage represents a large piece of land before it gets divided into smaller portions for residential purposes.
Acreage comes from the noun acre. The term “acre” originates from “æcer,” an Old English word that means a field of open tilled land. In the older times, people used the term to describe the amount of land an ox could plow in a day.
The name then got adopted to old French and Medieval Latin. The additional “age” element in acreage is a suffix added to the noun acre to form an adjective.
Using Acreage in a Sentence
Reading through sentences with the word acreage will help you better understand its proper use, so you can spell it correctly. Remember that you can use the term acreage as an adjective or noun. When used to describe a piece of land in acres, it’s a noun, but if it relates to a large land allotment, this is an adjective.
- The unpredictability of the weather patterns in the previous years has tremendously affected farming. Since the ground is so dry, farmers can only plant half of their acreage each year.
- This vineyard contains a mixture of various grapes variety so getting the accurate acreage estimation can be challenging.
- Every member will get more dividends this year. The total acreage of our products has increased from 2500 to 3500 acres which means more yields.
Acrage vs. Acreage vs. Acerage: How to Spell Acreage?
Most people spell out the name acreage as “acrage.” This is because we usually pronounce the word as “āk(ə)rij.” It’s therefore easy to miss the “e” after “r.” Others confuse the sequence of the letters by putting e before r, and they end up spelling it as acerage.
Other common misspellings of acreage include acreaage, acragee, acrreage, and aceage. The correct spelling is acreage and acreages in the plural.
Trick to Remembering the Spelling
One way you can master the correct spelling of the term acreage is by using mnemonics, which is basically involves creating phrases that help you remember a troublesome word.
To do this, take the first letter of the word you struggle with, and in this case, acreage. Assign a word to each letter, make a sentence, and it’s okay even if it doesn’t make much sense. Use words that you relate to. One such example is:
A conscious runner eats apple and guavas every day = acreage.
Other spelling tricks:
- Split the word. Another trick that can help you spell the word correctly is splitting the difficult word into two simpler terms. You will most likely remember two simple words than a long, complex one. If you can spell acre and age correctly, then you will spell acreage right each time.
- Practice. Some words are naturally complex to spell out to the extent that even the native speakers get them wrong. To solve this, you need to make a list of the words you mostly misspell. Research on the word’s origin to help you understand and spell it better. Say the word out loud as you write it down.
If you struggle with certain parts of the word, you can assign an item or simpler words to help you remember those terms. Another thing, make a list of the hard-to-spell words, stick them by your desk, list them on your mobile gadget, or any other place where you can easily refer. Ensure that you check them daily, and with enough practice, you should be able to spell them correctly.
The Bottom Line – Is It Acerage or Acrage?
There is no English term as acerage. The rights spelling is acreage. One main reason people experience spelling issues is that English draws some words from other languages like Greek, Latin, and German. Spelling rules’ inconsistencies also make it hard to master most of the words. By practicing and using the above tricks, you should note a significant improvement in your spelling.