Tablets are great for writing because they’re so lightweight and thin that they can go anywhere with you so you have the freedom to literally write from anywhere. The problem is that the market is saturated with a lot of poor quality tablets that aren’t great for writing due to their flimsy keyboards, poor battery life, or short lifespan. To help you out, we’ve selected our ten favorite tablets for writers do you can make a more informed decision. Read on to see which tablets we like.
Selecting the right tablet for writing requires that you evalaute all of the options on a strict set of features so that you find the best possible writing tablet. Below are several of the key features you should look for in a new tablet.
Some of the tablets on this list include keyboards, but others require an add-on Bluetooth keyboard. If you plan to write a lot on the tablet, you should consider one with a keyboard or add-on keyboard. Writing on a tablet can be a little more challenging than writing a typical laptop keyboard since the keyboards are smaller.
OS and Software
For OS, you typically can choose between iOS (Apple), Android (Google), or Windows (Microsoft). This is really personal preference depending on which OS you prefer to use. Most of the common apps (Microsoft Office, Photoshop, note taking options, etc) are available on all of these platforms. These OSes also have many other free apps that you can use for your writing.
Reading docs on a small screen isn’t very practical. Even worse is writing on a small screen. Make sure you select a screen size (11″+ is better) that will work for you and doesn’t make you squint.
Finding a tablet that has plenty of storage so that you can keep all of your files organized on your tablet. You should look for a tablet with at least 64GB, but 128GB-256GB is preferable. If you need more, you can always use a storage system like Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud.
Battery life is critical since part of the reason you might be looking for a tablet is portability. Writing from a beach is no fun if your battery dies after an hour. Fortunately, most tablets have a longer battery life than laptops, often 12 hours or more, and text-only documents tend to consume less battery than gaming or other heavy-duty tasks.
These are the main features you should look for when selecting a new tablet. Feel free to evaluate potential tablets along these criteria as well as any other that are important to you.
Best Tablets for Writers
|1. Microsoft Surface Pro 7||$797.99|
|2. Samsung Galaxy Tab A7||$234.99|
|3. Apple iPad Pro||$1,028.94|
|4. HP Spectre ×360||Price not available|
|5. Lenovo Yoga 730||$346.15|
|6. HP Envy ×2 Detachable Laptop||$869.00|
|7. Microsoft Surface Go||$543.75|
|8. ASUS ZenPad 10 Tablet||$327.99|
|9. ASUS VivoBook Flip||$372.98|
|10. Lenovo Flex 14||$673.99|
1. Microsoft Surface Pro 7
This tablet for writers is the next best thing to a laptop for a full keyboard and operating system experience with the added benefit of being super portable and lightweight (starting at just 1.70 pounds). You get the full Windows experience, a 12.3″ screen, a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor, and 10.5 hours of battery life. Just as other tablets on this list, you can remove the keyboard and use the touchscreen as you would any other tablet, or use the stylus to have more control. The Surface Pro is our favorite tablet for writers.
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than surface pro 6, with a 10th gen intel core processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both USB-c and USB-a ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging. Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light surface pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All day battery life up to 10.5 hours, Plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80 percent in just over an hour
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
This nifty tablet is extremely portable at only 10.4 inches, a lightning fast Quad-Core processor, Dolby surround sound audio (for listening to your favorite writing playlist), and a healthy 13-hour battery life. The 128GB storage offers sufficient storage for most day-to-day writing. On Amazon, you can also buy the tablet bundled with a keyboard so no need to buy it separately.
- SLIM, STYLISH DESIGN: Stream and browse on a 10.4-inch ultra-widescreen display designed to bring your content to life without weighing you down. The front-facing, landscape-oriented camera allows you to transition between entertainment and video calls seamlessly.
- DOLBY ATMOS SURROUND SOUND: With an enhanced quad speaker system that plays everything in Dolby Atmos surround sound, you’ll always feel like you’re listening from the front row.
- PREMIUM ENTERTAINMENT, ON US: With purchase of Galaxy Tab A7, get two months of free YouTube Premium and 6 months of free Spotify Premium.
- DO MORE OF WHAT YOU LOVE: Powerful processing speeds and upgraded memory means you can do more, and keep more, of the things you love: apps, videos, playlists and beyond.
- BINGE-WORTHY BATTERY: Galaxy Tab A7’s enhanced battery is designed for busy days and includes a fast-charging USB-C port that quickly gets you back to 100 percent.
- ✔ Multiple front Stand Positions, helps you find out the perfect angle for viewing or typing.
- ✔ Closure buckle design, makes your case and keyboard stay closed when sutting the front flap.
- ✔ Detachable keyboard: Allows to change laptop mode to tablet mode freely.
- ✔ 7 Colors Backlit: Bring you different visual experience and comfortable typing experience in a dark environment.
- ✔ Fit Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4-inch Model SM-T500/T505/T507 2020 Tablet Only. Will not fit other tablets.
3. Apple iPad Pro
The 11-inch iPad has plenty of power and apps to get your writing ton. It’s extremely portable and can also function as a movie theater on flights. The battery lasts up to 10 hours, so it’s a little on the shorter side for the tablets on this list, but overall it functions quite well. You will need to buy a keyboard to write effectively on the iPad, though.
- 12.9-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
- A12Z Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, and LiDAR Scanner
- 7MP TrueDepth front camera
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
4. HP Spectre ×360
The HP Spectre x360 makes a great laptop for writers who want a 2-in-1. It packs up to 16GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and Intel Core i7 processor. We also recommend it as a great laptop for writers.
The Intel 10th generation processor will make sure you have plenty of computing power to and the battery life should be plenty to get you through a day.
- 【Upgraded Powerful Storage】: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory, 512GB Solid State Drive. We have professional modified/upgraded, if necessary, to the detailed specs, as you can find in the product listing title and technical descriptions
- 【HP Spectre x360 15 Laptop i7】: 10th Gen Intel 4-Core i7-10510U (Base Clock 1.8GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 4.9GHz, 8MB Smart Cache, 8 Threads)
- 【Strong Graphics and Display】 : Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX330 2GB, Integrated Intel UHD Graphics, 15.6” 4K UHD(3840 x 2160) IPS Touchscreen Display(72% NTSC, 340 nits)
- 【External Ports and Slots】: 1 x Thunderbolt 3(with SuperSpeed USB Type-C 10Gbps signaling rate, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB-C 3.2 (10Gbps signaling rate, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x USB-A 3.2 (10Gbps signaling rate, HP Sleep and Charge), 1 x HDMI 2.0b, 1 x headphone/microphone combo, 1 x microSD media card reader
- 【Operating System】 : Windows 10 Home (64-bit), Backlit keyboard, Fingerprint reader, Wifi6 (802.11ax 2x2), Bluetooth 5.0, Audio by Bang & Olufsen, Quad speakers, IR Thermal sensor, HP True Vision 720p HD IR camera, Up to 11 hours battery life, HP Pen, Accessory Including a Delca 32GB MicroSD Card
5. Lenovo Yoga 730
The Lenovo Yoga is a powerful 2-in-1 laptop/tablet combo that runs Windows. It certianly functions more like a laptop and the keyboard is not detachable like many other tablets on this list. Instead, the screen folds back (hence the name “Yoga”) to create the tablet experience. The power you get from this laptop is unmatched with the i5-8250U processor (1.6GHz up to 3.4GHz), 8GB of RAM, and huge 1TB hard drive.
6. HP Envy x2 Detachable Laptop
The HP Envy 2-in-1 has the best battery life by far of any of the tablets on this list. It’s default battery lasts 22 hours for video playback and up to 1,000 hours in stand-by. It has a snappy Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor which can reach speeds up to 2.6GHz and 4GB of RAM. It runs Windows and comes with a stylus.
7. Microsoft Surface Go
The more cost effective model of the Surface series, the Surface Go still packs 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and a 1.6 GHz processor. If you are looking for a Windows tablet solution, but don’t want to splurge for the Surface Pro, the Surface Go is another great option.
9. ASUS VivoBook Flip
The ASUS VivoBook Flip 2-in-1 features a 11.6″ touchscreen, 64GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Intel Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 Processor. The battery lasts up to 8 hours, enough for a full day of writing.
- Powerful and efficient Intel Dual Core Celeron N3350 up to 2.4GHz; 64GB eMMC storage, 4GB DDR3 RAM and comes with Microsoft 10 S and Office 365
- 11.6 inches HD touchscreen glossy display combined with a lightweight 2.8 pound body designed to help you be productive and mobile
- Designed from the ground up for on the go users with an all day battery life of 8 hrs*
- Durable 360 degree hinge that allows it to be used in laptop, stand, or tablet mode
- Windows 10 S is the new standard in app and cloud based operating systems. Windows 10 S is a 100% app based version of Windows where applications are verified and tested for quality on the Microsoft store. There is also the ability to switch to Windows 10 Home in easy simple steps through the Microsoft Store for free.
10. Lenovo Flex 14
The large 14″ display on the Lenovo Flex gives you plenty of on-screen space for writing. This tablet almost feels like a full fledged laptop. It’s battery lasts 10+ hours and charges to over 80% in about an hour so you can get moving.
Prices last updated on 2021-09-20