Do you want to know the shortened form of the word “pages”? You’re in the right place. In this article, we will be taking a look at how to abbreviate the word pages, but before that, let’s have a quick look at its definition.
Definition of Page
The word page is the singular form of the word pages, which means one or both sides of a sheet of paper in a magazine, book, or manuscript. According to Dictionary.com, a page means a single sheet of paper or the whole leaf of a printed or written thing. Some popular synonyms for the word page are leaf, verso, recto, folio, and surface.
Abbreviations for Page
Two of the very common abbreviations for the page are:
If you want to use plural abbreviations, you can use pgs. or pp. For example, in the Modern Language Association (MLA) style, you can use the abbreviation as PP. 10-15
When Can You Use the Abbreviation for Pages
Generally, you use abbreviations to refer to a particular page, especially for citations. For instance, some researchers write pages as pgs. in academic writing as part of reference lists. The abbreviations pp., and pgs, are recognized in the United States and some other countries.
To learn the appropriate citation styles or specific instructions for abbreviations, you can check your preferred style guide, such as the APA Style Publication Manual, the MLA Handbook, The Chicago Manual of Style, etc.
Besides the reference list in academic writing, these abbreviations can be used in shorthand, note-taking, and personal communication.
Use of the word “Pages” and its Abbreviations in Sentences
- I read at least two pages of this book before I sleep.
- My 4 years daughter tore out a couple of pages from her notebook
- I have read 10 pages of this novel, while he has read-only 2.
- Take a Look at the fifth line from the bottom on page 10.
- My teacher omitted the exercise on page 12 of the book.
- Note: Pg. no. 189 explains this.
- Note: Revise pgs. 1. 3, 7, and 10.
- Note: Delete pg. 3 and 7 entirely.
- You can use yellow pages to find a car dealer near you.
- Who ripped out the first two pages of this book.
- Homework: Read pgs. From 1 to 10 from the textbook.
- Each pg. needs text + an image.
- Update: pg. no. 5 is important.
- Note: pg. 6 is missing from the file.
So these are the abbreviations for the word page and pages. If you’re referring to only one page, use the abbreviation p. and if there are multiple pages, use pp.
This is how you can abbreviate the word page and pages. However, it’s advisable not to use abbreviations unnecessarily. They should be used only for citation, academic, writing, or reference list because sometimes they might cause confusion for readers.